Thursday, March 19, 2015

XXIIII

Last Monday, March 9th, 2015, marked the three-year anniversary of the beginning of the relationship I had with Theodore Aaron Keyes that would turn into the most violent two-month period of my entire life. It was also the day that something else happened: something that reaffirmed my belief that my struggles were not in vain. At around 1:30 PM that Monday, I received a call from a long-distance number. Usually I ignore these calls because they are more often than not telemarketers, but for some unknown reason, I picked up the phone, and the person on the other line almost made my heart stop: it was a police officer from the Bellingham Police Department.

I sat in the car, next to my mom as she drove home, my beautiful 2-year-old son in the backseat, and told the officer everything I could about Theo. She told me that they were investigating an "assault on a woman" and that he wasn't an official suspect, they had no leads, but his name kept popping up. I re-told my story with dates and events, the memories almost as vivid as the times I actually experienced his abuse. I told her of the deep-seated hatred he had for women, that it was beyond hate and had transfigured into something much darker than that. I was on the phone with the officer for almost forty-five minutes, giving her every piece of information I had, but I left out the address of this blog.

I don't know why I did it. I thought about calling back that entire day and most of the next day to give the officer the last piece of damning evidence, hoping that Theo actually was involved. Around 5:00 PM the next day, I called the police department and offered the address of my blog as well as the name and contact information of a woman who Theo had harassed before moving onto me. The officer told me she had already read my blog, which shocked me, because in the scope of things, two-thousand views didn't mean nearly as much to me as it should have. I didn't think it would reach people, but it ended up falling into the hands of law enforcement, exactly where I wanted it to go.

In previous posts, I've discredited law enforcement, because the police chose not to investigate my case. I realize now that even though they didn't, it was the right thing for me to do to file a report and write this blog: both things that were a struggle at the time I did them. The information I gave to the police three years ago is now helping them catch Theo, even though it's not for the abuse inflicted upon me. I will continue to fight for those who are current, past or future victims of sexual violence and this most recent experience with the police makes me even more dedicated to the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment